Tuesday 15 July 2008

Reflecting on times past

It is often that I sit alone late at night doing which ever craft I have to hand, this is a restful and productive time.
I think back to when the children were young, being four years between them they had different bed times.

I would bring out the various projects that I had on the go for them. Gonks, bears, dolls pram sets ,cot sets, and lots of clothes for the girls, also their Cindy dolls, Action men and Barbies.

Our eldest daughter is very skillful and made many lovely things for her sister, a lot of love was poured out at these times.
Blue Peter often came to the rescue with ways to make vehicles made from ice cream tubs. Catch phrase 'here's one I made earlier'.

Our eldest daughter would share the secrets about her younger sister's presents being made for Christmas, not suspecting that when she went to bed her project would come out to be worked on. These gifts were in addition to bought gifts and enjoyed very much.

One Christmas it was a pair of 3 foot high sleeping lions, the pattern taken from from Golden Hands, which slept on their beds for many years.
I have the pattern and new fabric and am wondering if our grandson would like one also.

Another time it was Puss in Boots four foot in height and dressed like D'artagnan from the Three Musketeers. It took ages to find large white plume feathers for his hat.
Next a large tortoise to sit on.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, I am aware of the light, colour, smells and feelings as I talk about these times.
The need to make these things has passed for some time, even though it is rare to find me without a craft project on the go.

The village I live in supports the shoe box appeal and I am offering my help to make toys and clothing for the appeal.

3 comments:

Dancin Fool said...

And I still have puss and turtle (bright eyes!) I am planning to restore puss as he has different boots now and needs a new hat. I think he deserves it!

Thank you for rekindling lovely memories.

bowledover said...

It was a lovely trip down memory lane do you want any help with the restoration processes.

Dancin Fool said...

Actually I would. I am happy to do the hard work but your advice would be very gratefully received. I would like to do as good a job as you did the first time. We must talk about it when we get together next, thank you. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...